Friday, 10 July 2009

Handful!!

Life has been pretty nice but mundane lately. It is usually work and then rush home to be with the kids by about 6 plus and then what follows is probably the most tiring part of the day for me.
See, while the children are nice to us, they sleep by 9pm and will not need our attention till the next morning when we go to work, it can be hard handling 3 of them for that 2 hours or so.

Once we’re home after dinner at my dad’s place, Ani will be doing her chores and that leaves the 2 of us to handle the 3 of them. Although the twins are still pretty much lying around only but they can be cranky at times for they sometimes need that little nap of about half hour and with Isaac creating all the rackets they will protest violently.

Although only 2 hours but it is still pretty demanding physically or maybe it only applies to me, the out of shape father. I know, I know some of you may argue when have I ever been in shape.

Isaac is at this age whereby he knows no fear and also no boundaries. He will open all doors and drawers as well as pick up any and everything. Worst of all he will get tired of whatever is in his hands and he will drop it (read throw) like a hot brick within minutes. Hence besides looking out for his safety I also need to look after the many remote controls, handphones, digital cameras and laptops in our room.

As he is able to climb up and down from our bed now we also have to take extra care that he doesn’t slip and fall or sit on his defenseless siblings. Being the sweet big brother that he is, he will occasionally decide to show some affection towards the twins by patting them but with a little too much strength sometimes.

So during these two hours it is a lot of getting up and down and running after Isaac. Whenever the twins are cooperative we will be able to sit down and read with Isaac or watch some educational kids’ videos on YouTube. This will keep his butt planted for a while.

Sometimes, thankfully this doesn’t happen often, both twins want to be fed around the same time and it will be impossible for us to watch after Isaac so Ani will be called in to watch over him for a while.

Once the twins are fed, they will normally sleep soon after and then it will be Isaac’s turn to be fed and tugged in bed. Nowadays with the twins sleeping early the Mrs has the chance to coax him to sleep. I believe this is the time of the day that she looks forward to the most. I know she really appreciates the opportunity to have this little quiet and bonding time with Isaac.

Now if the way Isaac behaves is a preview of what we are to expect from the twins then I am worried. Friends have been pretty generous with their compliments on how well we are coping with the 3 of them now but I like to remind them that the hardest is yet to come. I truly believe that it will be much harder once they are about Isaac’s age now.

While I am bracing myself for that inevitable I am also secretly wishing that by then Isaac will be old enough to understand things and reason with. Wishful thinking? I don’t know, you experienced mothers tell me.

Right now we are enjoying whatever ‘me’ and ‘us’ time that the children have generous granted us. With all of them asleep by 9 plus we do have some time to do our own readings or finishing the serial that we like, in my case True Blood. Oh did I mention that all these were done in the comfort of our own bedroom and on our bed? The twins have no issues (knock on wood) with us switching on the lights and TV once they are sound asleep.

We can even squeeze in a night of Mahjong with the two of us playing at the same time, although this is only done occasionally. All we need to do is set up the trusted baby monitor and be on high alert but so far (knock on wood again) they can still sleep through the night. Lucky us? I definitely think so!

I know many of you readers miss Isaac so below are some of the latest pictures and a video of him helping out at home.



From the video you can see that Isaac was really struggling whether to wash the clothes or not. I think part of the reason besides the weather is the load.

When Isaac is not busy with the laundry he likes to keep the floor clean so that he and in the near future his siblings can crawl around safely.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude.. true blood is not a good show to watch with the kiddos around... moreover the show is quite dumb... suzy stackhouse, works in a steakhouse..hahaahaa

mrs chew

missmoon said...

he is so cute lah, hurhurhur. at that age, they all like to put things into something and remove them, repeat many times. also love to tear apart things, just to see if they can! well, at least for my 3 yr old's case.

Nicole said...

Isaac, slim down alot ya?? Just like Cleo!

I heard of babies/kids climbing in to front load washing machines. How true is that, I have no idea though. So be sure to close the door at all times. You never can guess what the kids can do. They sure have the most creative minds!!!!

Isaac can understand what you guys are telling him, which is good. That means he should be able to 'talk' soon. Or he have already begin to talk? It's also good to speak to him other than english, which in your instance, in cantonese?? That's what we did with my girls. We speak to them in english, the grandmamas, in chinese and cantonese, so they can grasp and understand better.

Cleo is now demanding to have the BIGGEST piece of everything that we are eating, drinking the BIGGEST cup of water, eating the BIGGEST piece of chicken and everything else. Very greedy and very demanding...and quite irriating too sometimes but that's that joy of it ya...most of the times that is. Haha

nora said...

What happen to korkor Issac chubby cheeks?!?!?!?!?

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jolin,

I make sure the kids are sleeping soundly when I watch True Blood.

I like the show for it is different and for the record Sookie is not working in a steakhouse lah. It is a bar.

Ordered season 2 from Amazon liao.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Cynthia,

He is cute when he is not naughty and throwing his tantrum.

Ya ya he likes to put objects into containers and then take them out and then put them back in and finally throw it all away.

He likes to tear papers too but thankfully the damage is limited to flyers and old magazines for now.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Ya Isaac has lost some of his baby fats but he is still about 11 ish KG.

Actually I am not so worried of him climbing into the washing machine since it is always empty unless Ani puts the clothes in for washing. I worry more for the door for if he bends it the wrong way who knows if it'll come off.

It amazes us (sorry lah but we're 1st time parents) when he understands us. Take for example when he wakes up, we asked him to drop his soft toy, pacifier and off the fan before coming to us and he did everything.

As for talking, it is still baby talk for now. I told the Mrs the same a week back, that I'll speak to him in English, Ani will handle the Cantonese while she takes care of Mandarin.

Wow! It sure sounds like Cleo is enjoying her food and drinks huh?!?! She is so cute!!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nora,

Isaac has lost quite a bit of his baby fats already.

Not as chubby and cute as before but that's what happens to all babies I guess.

Anonymous said...

season 2 out already meh???? i go download..haha, free one why u buy??

sells steak also right?? hahahaa.. i hate her faux pas accent!!!! so annoying!!

mrschew

Nicole said...

Ani can speak cantonese??? That's sure impressive. If I'm ever going to employ a maid, having a maid that speaks cantonese will seriously be a very good option indeed.

Cleo is cute, but her greediness isn't. Especially when she can't have her way in getting to the BIG coke, BIG nugget, LONGEST fries, she'll make noise. Patrons at mcdonalds probably wanna murder us cheerfully. Haha

I think Cleo also around 11kg or so. Not so chubby anymore but still heavy to carry around ya! Haha

happyhour said...

wah i sure need a mj session myself man... so long no mj hands itchy ah.. *envy*

wait till u get 2 crawling babies, 1 runner and whole house havoc! now that Kaelyn is starting to walk steadily on her own she love chasing Tricia... and it's really madness to have 2 of them running around the house. so be careful!

after seeing Isaac's vid, i think i need to train my girls to help out around the house MORE... haha

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jolin,

Yes season 2 is out already. Already in my friend's cart waiting to check out.

Actually I have never downloaded any movies or series leh. I think it is just a silly habit to buy and own it lah.

About the accent, what to do they are supposed to be from that area mah.

I'm now reading the book. Will let you know if it is good but so far very different from the show.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Don’t you know? We were out looking for a Cantonese speaking maid since day one. She worked in Hong Kong for 5 years before joining us. The agency that we go to sort of specialized in sourcing for such maids so let me know if you are looking for one.

I understand no one really likes a kid that throws tantrum. Sometimes Isaac does it and he will just lie on the floor and cry. Speaking of cry, his eyes watered up very easily and quickly.

It is getting harder to carry Isaac with one hand but using two I am still fine. With him walking he can actually help (in fact he sometimes insists) to carry some lighter and smaller stuffs.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Cecilia,

So you mj too eh? Nice! We always enjoy a good game of mj with our friends. It is indeed a blessing to be able to do that still now that we have 3 kids.

You are scaring me with the picture of 3 kids running around and fighting and screaming. I don’t think I am ready for that yet.

I agree that you should create games that involve housework so on one hand they are entertained and on the other hand things are being done at home. I told the Mrs to try this with Isaac also.

happyhour said...

haha we (me n my hb) used to mj every weekend ah.. right up to the birth of my 1st girl... tats y we think Tricia can sleep in ANY condition, we talk loud and all she will be able to fall asleep cos train already when she in my tummy. already used to the mj "washing" sound.

but when i have Kaelyn, no mj at all... so now Kaelyn, at the slightest sound she will stir lor... argh.. so number 3 i WILL train again.. haha

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Cecilia,

We are very much alike for we (actually more the Mrs) also mj almost on a weekly basis.

She played during both pregnancies so maybe that helped for like I said they sleep through most noise now.

Good luck with your number 3 ya!?

Anonymous said...

Hi

May i know which maid agency did you employ your maid from? How much are you paying her?

Thanks for sharing

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi there Anonymous,

Can you PM me and I will provide you with all the info?

I'm not comfortable putting out the name and contact of the agency in my blog as I am merely a customer.

Dylan

jasz said...

Hi Dylan,

I would like the maid agency details too. Can email me at jaszho@hotmail.com

Thanks!