Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Ideas?

Wow! I can’t believe it has been almost a month since my last post. A recent chat message from the Mrs on WhatsApp (you iPhone owners will know) goes like this:

Mrs: Hey. You have not updated your blog for a month liao.

Me: I know. I’ve been so busy with the CES. I’ll see what I can squeeze out before the end of the year.

To say I have been busy in December is really an understatement. There are also times when I wanted to post about the kids’ development but by the time I gotten down to writing things have changed again and what I had in mind originally suddenly seem so yesterday.

So this time I am blogging about things that are more general. Just yesterday the Mrs commented that this year’s Christmas seems boring and asked me if I have any ideas on how to make it more interesting. Frankly speaking my feel towards Christmas has always been the same. I like the hype leading up to Christmas so this means that about a month before the actual day I will get all excited by the buying of presents and nice decorations around me. Unfortunately Christmas Day is always an anti-climax for me. All the hype will eventually lead to nothing. It will usually turn out to be another public holiday where we do nothing special.

The only exception was probably last year when (some of you might remember) we were busy with Isaac’s first birthday bash. We were so occupied with the celebration and making sure that everything is just perfect for our little man.

Last year I was also busy trying to explain to Isaac that when he sees Christmas trees and decorations up, it means his birthday is near and everyone is planning to celebrate it together with him. I don’t think he understands the concept yet at the tender age of one but this year I can definitely see progress. He definitely can recognize Christmas trees and will get all excited whenever he sees one. By the way his favourite is currently the one just outside Ion Orchard but I have not brought him to Ngee Ann City yet. He will always go ‘Wow!’ which incidentally is one of his favourite words now.

All that is left for me to do is to connect Christmas tree to his birthday and most importantly make him understand the concept of birthdays. Soon he will have to prepare a present for the Mrs. Some of you might remember a new family tradition for this Tan family and that is to have the kids prepare (too young to buy) a gift for their mum on their birthday.

This year on the other hand things have gone back to how they usually were since we have no plans to celebrate Isaac’s birthday other than a small gathering that is limited to the family and his Godma of course.
My question to you fellow parents is where and what do you do on Christmas eve and day? Besides going to church of course. While we are at it what are your usual plans for New Year’s eve and day as well?

For the young and single, they can always go to the countdown parties happening all over the island and get drunk and be merry. For the older couples who do not have to worry about their kids’ bedtime can always host their own parties at home where good friends and family can all come together for the big countdown and celebrate. That leaves the rest of us (the in-betweens). We can’t go out and get drunk for we have responsibilities at home. We can’t host a party at night for the countdown as well since most of us have our kids’ bedtime to worry about. I am really curious to know how do you, the more experience parents spend these 4 days.

Traveling is not an option now for I have 3 babies in case you forget. We won’t be traveling with them in tow at least now for another year or two. Then again traveling during this time of the year will burn a really big hole in my pocket, something I have to get used to eventually I guess.

Does parenthood mean the end of such celebrations? Is this just one of the many sacrifices that we parents are expected to make? Even if we can’t party and do the countdown then surely there must be nice family activities for the young (us parents) and the babies right?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

g already asking me roughly how old can travel? hmmm, im beginning to wonder where all my freedom going to go..

merry xmas..

xmas eve is a little picnic n mini bbq with some friends, xmas is dinner with g's family.. turkey n the works.. yum..

p/s postpone phuket to next mth i'll be 20 weeks i hope we can go this time?!?! fingers cross...

mrs chew.....

The Bimbo said...

mmm what about a picnic at Istana or something? It's open during public hols. :)

It's also nice to take turns to host parties within a group of friends... Christmas cum new year party once a year. :)

Can we get a video of Isaac going WOW? please?

Bobo

Nicole said...

Well, since I'm like you, stuck with kids, there's really nowwhere much we can go. Can't afford to go to too crowded places, can't go to quiet places(like some nice restaurants as children are not allowed), can't go party(not that me and derrick really party), nothing much.

So it's really going to friends', families(who are really kind enough to invite us with kids) to go. That's about it. But then, like you said, xmas is really exciting but albeit overrated, with all the gifts exchanging, buying, the hassle. In the end? The kids ripping off the pressies and don't really understand the concept of it, expect that they have got one more toy, to their addition. :)

Merry xmas and happie 2nd birthday to fat boy as well! :)

mummy yio said...

Hihi,

I was wondering how come your posts are getting more and more random... But i guess that is how it becomes when you have to manage work and kids... Kekekeke, Anyway... Just popping by to say 'Hi and Merry Xmas!' And also, what are the plans for Issac's Bd? :)

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jolin,

Frankly speaking, traveling will be tough once your girls are out unless you are able to leave them with your parents or in-laws for a few days.

Then again if both of you are very hands-on and are willing to lug around the diaper bags, milk and stroller, just to name a few, there is no reason why you have to wait.

Nice to know that you have plans for this Christmas.

About your trip, you should perhaps consult your Gynae a final time closer to the date before stepping onboard the plane. Fingers and toes are crossed for you too.

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and Wonderful New Year!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hello Bobo,

You have been busy so thanks for taking the time to leave your comment.

Picnic? It did cross our mind cause the Mrs is a fan of picnic. Only problem is according to the weather forecast it is going to be a very wet Christmas and maybe even up to New Year.

I totally agree with having a get-together with friends during this time of the year. In fact I am having a small gathering at my place with a few of my friends on Sunday so I am looking forward to that.

About your request, I will try my best but no promise for he will be distracted once he sees our phones.

You have a very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year ahead!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Actually we are a little more adventurous cause we are thinking of bringing the kids to Orchard for the concerts and to watch the parade of Christmas floats. Hopefully Isaac will go ‘W…o…w!’ again and I can capture it on video for Bobo. That is provided it does not rain of course.

Spending Christmas with friends and families are really nice so I’m sure you’ll be having a good time.

Actually we did not buy Isaac any Christmas present last year and we only got him a birthday gift this year. The twins are also not getting anything for Christmas. They are actually having Christmas all year round because almost every weekend that we are out with them we will be buying all 3 of them something, mostly clothes and shoes.

Here’s wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!

p.s. Isaac may have to change his nick cause he is rather thin now.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Amy,

If you are referring to the frequency of my posts then I am guilty as charged. I am so busy with work and the kids and other stuffs so I failed to stick to a post a week. Maybe that is also why the readership of this blog has dropped recently. I think I should consider including it in my New Year’s resolution to blog once a week.

We are not celebrating Isaac’s birthday in a big way. It will be a family lunch with a few relatives and his Godma. We can’t deny him the candle blowing and cake cutting which I’m sure he will enjoy.

After his birthday the Mrs will be busy working on the twins’ birthday celebration. There will be a party for sure.

Thanks for popping by and here’s wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year ahead!

happyhour said...

Hi Dylan, Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

u can try drag the kids out from their bed nearer midnight on 31st dec and drive pass those areas that have fireworks just to see it!! :) (mayb the twins may not appreciate it yet... but Isaac may love it!

oh...and of course Happy Birthday Isaac! (",)

Nicole said...

Happie belated birthday to Isaac!

Isaac going thin?? Well, I guess that's inevitable. Cleo still managed to retain some flesh and she weight like a ton whenever we have to carry her but I don't know her actual weight.

I'm sure it will be interesting to read the post on your twin's upcoming birthday celebration. :)

Btw, just to kpo a bit, your reader ' mrs chew/jolin', I always read about how she want to get pregnant etc, and now she's pregnant with twins girls?/ THat's just cool! Congrats.

bebe said...

Hello. Belated Merry Christmas to you! I think the best option is still to host a celebration at home ... the kids will get happie when they see guests? haha.. but i took a break this year, no party at my place this year! We had a quiet Christmas too.

Btw, my daughter will be attending her playschool in Jan ... n confirmed taking school bus home... veryshort journey so no prob with the school bus company. Has Issac's school plan been fixed? School bus problem solved? I was really stressed over this man ... not sure if i was right to put her in a convenient school rather than a exceptional school. I hope this school is gd tho ... :)

Lionel n Rachel said...

hi, not that we celebrated xmas & to us, well, let's js say its also another ordinary day.

suggest a gathering for close family members & frens for a xmas cum new year celebration. the adults can catch up the kids can have a wild of their time.

alternatively, leave the kids with ur ils for a few hrs & u & mrs can catch a movie together.

or else, have a nice quite picnic by some park like labrador or botanic.

last resort, gather up close in the room & snap away on the camera like there's no 2moro. shoot videos & js act childish again :P

Incidentally, that's what we did with our kids on xmas day. Get wild!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Cecilia,

Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

Thanks for your suggestion but I’m not sure dragging the kids up at midnight is such a good idea. We might live to regret it for the rest of the night! Hahahaha As for fireworks we brought them to the Singapore Flyer during National Day rehearsal and they didn’t quite enjoy it but that could be because we were so near it became a little too loud for them.

Isaac had a nice birthday celebration with just the family but he sure did enjoy his Christmas for he has so many presents.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your birthday well wishes for Isaac. What is the plan for Cleo’s birthday this year?

Yes, Isaac has slimmed down but quite a bit although he still weighs around 12.3KG. Guess it is probably due to him growing taller and shedding his baby fats. Only his face is a little chubby now.

I’m not sure if it will be an interesting post on the twins’ birthday celebration. As of now the Mrs is still sourcing around for the venue. Any suggestions?

Yes, Jolin (aka Mrs Chew) is finally pregnant and with twin girls some more! I am so happy for her.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Bebe,

Belated Merry Christmas to you too!! May you and your family have a wonderful New Year ahead.

Frankly speaking, we do not have much choice but to celebrate at home since the kids are so young. I actually invited a few friends over to my place for a small get together and they kids did have fun playing with each other, especially Isaac who was running around and laughing non-stop.

Isaac is definitely going to Nursery 1 next year and he will not be taking the school bus since it will take about an hour each way. Instead my dad will be doing the fetching and I will be reimbursing him for the cab fare.

I’m sure things will work out find for you and your girl. Not to worry. Do come back and keep us all posted ya?

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Yvonne,

Being non Christians Christmas is more for the kids to receive presents and have loads of fun. It is more like another public holiday to us.

We did have a small gathering where I invited a few of my friends with kids about the same age as Isaac. It was a nice afternoon where both adults and kids had fun. We would definitely like to continue this tradition and let the kids grow close with each other as well.

Thanks for your many suggestions and maybe we might take up one or two of them!

Cheers

shysta said...

hey dylan,

hubby and I were just thinking the exact same thing last week. Our freedom and zest for celebrations had dwindled after the delivery of our first dotter but it has totally phased out with the arrival of our second. Was just asking ourselves whether we're starting to become boring people just cause we have more responsibilities now than before. And truth be told, to our single partygoing friends, we'be been labeled super boring. lol. I guess that's the low of being sole caregivers to our children.

We've been trying to plan a short vacation too but have no idea where would be toddler friendly and affordable (1 income 4 mouths). Do you have any ideas?

Also, maybe the Mrs could try polliwogs for the twins' birthday? Have you been there? They have a nice balcony area facing the sea and kids can have a blast at the indoor playground. By far I dare say, its the best indoor playground i've brought misha to.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Shysta,

I believe what you and I are going through now is what most young parents will face. Our zest to celebrate has not actually dwindled but ran out of ideas what can we do.

Luckily for us, most friends around us are with children too so we will not deem to be super boring to them. In fact the Mrs and I are usually more gamed then the others.

Unfortunately I do not have any suggestions on where to go for a vacation. We are looking forward to bringing all for a short trip too but it looks like it will be another couple of years more. 1 place I will try and get my friends to go together is Club Med. This is definitely a place where parents and children can all have fun.

Thanks for your suggestions on Polliwogs. We have not been there but the Mrs has definitely read about it.