Wednesday, 11 June 2008

Domesticated!

According to Dictionary.com, Domesticated means:

1) to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.
2) to tame (an animal), esp. by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.
3) to accustom to household life or affairs.

Looking at the above definitions I’m beginning to believe that I am now domesticated. Explanations (1) & (2) make sense since we are basically animals and I have been “trained” to take care of more work at home which brings us to explanation (3).

As bad as I made it sound, I don’t really look at this as a bad thing because really it is not. This came about from a conversation that I was having with the Mrs one Sunday about 2 weeks ago while driving. I was relating to the Mrs about my coffee time (an example of ‘Me’ time) with Mike and Kat while she was out shopping with my MIL and she found it amusing that at one stage of our conversation Mike and I touched on the Sheridan bed sheets (which is pretty costly if you ask me) that they bought during the sale and we were actually comparing thread count. He was saying how many was his hence the hefty price while I told him that the Mrs has always been very happy with Aussino and we used 340 thread count ones. I went on to explain to Mike that we do not want to spend so much on thread counts because I honestly can’t feel the difference plus Dino is always jumping on the bed.

The Mrs had a good laugh and actually praised the fact that we know about thread count and were actually having a discussion, although a short one, on it.

It suddenly dawned on me that I have been domesticated!!! I laughed then and told her that this will make an interesting post on my blog so here it is, some two weeks or so later.

Looking back now I should have seen the earlier signs because a few months ago while having lunch in the office, my female colleagues were actually impressed with the fact that I picked up the used tissue with the chopsticks and wiped down the oil and grease from the bowl before bringing it into the pantry for the cleaning lady to wash.

They immediately sang praises of the Mrs for doing a good job in “training” me. Honestly I did not even notice that it was anything unusual until they mentioned it. Now looking back I really don’t see many people let alone guys doing it. I must have picked it up from the Mrs because she is always doing that. Before we had a maid, I was usually tasked with washing the dishes and I believe the Mrs wanted to help by removing the oil and grease from the bowls and plates first so that it will be easier for me to wash.

Not sure if the type of movies count but we went to watch Sex and the City, the movie last Sunday and I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it is a major chick flick. This was expected because I enjoyed the series as well. I have always liked the humour and honesty from the writers. Oh, erm…. and in case you’re wondering, I watch many regular guy shows as well. I am so looking forward to The Incredible Hulk!! Hulk Smash!!!

Being domesticated also means I like to spend most of my free time at home playing my Xbox instead of clubbing. Then again I have never really been the clubbing sort. What I do like is to arrange for coffees and dinners with friends (wives and girlfriends included of course) and my sis and we will eat, chat and laugh for hours.

Mike made an interesting point sometime ago; he feels that the guys who cheat on their wives are usually those who do not have a hobby. We, the ‘gamers’ (note: this word is used very loosely here) will usually cheat in another form. We research for cheat codes on the Internet to beat the game or in the most recent case we cheated on our wives with a lady named Michelle in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Then again, maybe Mike is just trying to convince Kat to allow him to buy another game console as he already had two.

Are we Domesticated or simply the Sensitive New Age Guy (SNAG)? You tell me.

10 comments:

missmoon said...

hi Dylan
yay! another post!

aren't most if not all men, at some point after marriage, become domesticated? even more so after a child comes along?

hmmm, i'd like to think that i've had had some influence over my hubby's domestication. haha.

btw, Isaac is now officially a lady killer. showed his topless pic around, and boy, the women were falling head over heels!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Cynthia,

Ya, another post after almost 2 weeks. Have been busy.

I'm still trying to figure out if my domestication came after marriage or after Isaac.

Thanks for marketing Isaac around ya? Let them know they can take picture with Isaac for $5 each and if he has to be topless then it will have to be $15.

Hahahaha.....

The Mrs is going to kill me for even suggesting! ;p

missmoon said...

fact that you can still blog despite work and other commitments is a feat in itself! now, with Issac along, even more so a feat!

haha, no worries, it's contained within my office walls, the women in question.

the blog name i registered, is still only a blog name. i've yet to start, and i doubt i can rid the lazy bone in me to ever start.

ourlittleone said...

did you recieve any prize from the mumcentre?

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Cynthia,

I agree it is not always easy but when an interesting topic comes up then it will be a breeze.

Quick! Start blogging. Maybe once you start you won’t be able to stop.

As for showing Isaac's pictures around, I'm not worried. You can show to whomever you want. The fact that I can leave his picture on my blog I am prepared for people to see it.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi there Mrs Tan,

We only got bragging rights and nothing else. However there is this lucky draw thingy that winners are entitled to if you count that as a prize.

So is Chloe in the competition too?

ourlittleone said...

yeah she is in also in the competition. so I tot what is the prize as everyone asked me. And i was like Erm.. dunno.. lol.

Aces Family said...

Hi Dylan,

For once i thought you started sweeping/mopping floor or doing laudries..hee : P

My only understanding of this word relates to the above. Not counting thread of bedsheet and playing x-box..haha.

Happy Father's Day.

cheers,
astee

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Mrs Tan,

Ya. After Isaac won, I had to explain to everyone that there is no prize only bragging rights. They will then give me the "Huh?!?! Then why take part?!?!" look.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hey Astee,

I'll have you know I do clean and sweep the floor as well as do the dishes and the laundry ok?! ;p

But that was before we had a maid. When the Mrs was pregnant I was doing almost everything singlehandedly.

Did not celebrate Father's Day for myself although we did it for my Dad and FIL.