Sunday, 23 December 2007

Engaged!!

We were at Dr N’s clinic last week when he announced that Baby is actually engaged!!!! What this means is that Baby’s head is mostly lowered and not in the abdomen anymore. Looks like this is really it!!!

He had actually predicted about a month ago that Baby will be out by 28th or 29th of this month so that gave us some emotional preparation. If not can you imagine our shock and surprise when we learn that Baby will be out next week??!!

This is almost 10 days before the EDD!! So much for a 2008 baby and away from all the competitions from all the other babies that are around us. I had posted (see Joe) that I prefer Baby to be born next year since there are at least 4 babies that we know, 2 of whom are family, that are born this year. I rather not have the pressure of these parents comparing notes and results throughout Baby’s life.

During one of the recent visits the Mrs was made to go through a Strep B test and unfortunately the result came back positive.

I’m not familiar with this but according to the Internet and Dr N, it has the potential to really cause some serious harm to Baby. Naturally Dr N is not prepared to take any risk with Baby hence he has ordered the Mrs to go for a CTG test every 3 days or so. This is to monitor Baby and at the same time help determine when we should induce the labour.

The reason he gave for the induction was he wanted to make sure that Baby has absorbed the necessary antibiotics before going through the vagina and the only way to do this is to inject the antibiotics into the Mrs 4 hours before rupturing the membrane. Unless the water bag bursts on its own within these next few days, it looks like we have to sit down and seriously think of Baby’s birth date.

So much for a drug free birth huh?!

Good thing is our priority has always been the health of the Mrs and Baby. This will take precedence over any preference, theory or ideology. Like I said before the things we take away from the HypnoBirthing class will be something that we can apply to our daily lives so it is not a waste as such.

We are scheduled to go back for another CTG test on Boxing Day and I believe we will have to provide Dr N with a date that we would like to have the labour. I am blogging now at Paragon Starbucks on Sunday, 23rd December and we are no closer to coming up with a birth date.

On the hindsight by inducing the labour, we are in better control of things, logistic wise. We do not have to worry about being out shopping and then have to face the bursting of the water bag. By scheduling the labour, I can also bring everything such as the stem cord kit.

Come to think of it, since so many people are on leave this time of the year, maybe I can invite them all down for moral support!! They can wait outside the delivery suite and pray and cheer for the Mrs. I think I might just extend the invitation to a few friends and families. Readers are included so if you are having your routine checkup at Mt E over the next few days, then maybe you too would like to consider popping by!

Now that we are thinking about the actual labour, the Mrs has also started to plan about methods of pain prevention just in case. We have already stated in our birth plan that we know of the various pain relief so we will request for it should and when the time comes.

A friend, J gave us an excellent idea. She is a mother of 2 with the youngest, Megan (nice name right?) born earlier this year. J told the Mrs that when she was having her surges (contractions) she actually asked the midwife on a scale of 1 – 10 when compared to the pain during actual delivery, which level would she be at that particular time. The midwife said 4 and she knew instantly that she required the epidural.

I believe the Mrs will use the same method to gauge if she requires the same pain relief. Unless of course by inducing the labour things will happen much quicker and she has to make a decision before even we begin.

So there you have it! Baby should be seeing the world real soon and I have decided to stay over in the hospital and will keep you all posted through this blog. We learned that the rooms are wi-fi enabled and tentatively it is still free of charge. So be prepared to see a few pictures of Baby real soon.

Do stay tune and in the meantime suggestions on the birth date anyone?

Merry Christmas to you all and may you have a wonderful year ahead!

Happy Birthing!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU BOTH! Wonder how I'll feel when my turn comes keke. Any chance of being the first baby to be born on the 1st Jan??

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi bebe,

Frankly speaking since this is an induced case, we can really choose whichever day we want and I did tell Dr N that I'm interested in 1st Jan.

The main reason for this is Baby can "save" 1 year of his / her life since he / she can join those born in the year before in school.

Unfortunately the Mrs said that giving birth on Christmas and New Year Day actually cost more. If there is a lot of difference then I will drop the idea.

At the end of the day I believe it is really Dr N and the Mrs that will have the biggest influence on the date selection.

Aces Family said...

Hi,

Wishing Mrs a very smooth delivery and you, an enjoyable experience during the delivery.

Btw, i think even if Baby is born on 01 Jan 2008, baby will need to register with the 2007 batch, with a choice, if i remember correctly.

Merry CHristmas to your family.

cheers,
astee

Nicole said...

So your mrs won't get to experience the contractions, spotting or water bag burst? Which is good in a way. So she's going for natural birth or c-section??

As for me, as it's my second pregnancy, baby doesn't engage that fast. I went for my check up few days back and the gynae told me that I could give birth anytime and it'll be swift. Might it be in the carpark, in the car or at home. So much for twisted humour! I'll have to go back to see him this friday(28/12) to ensure that everything is ok( provided that I've not given birth by then).

FYI, you do know that the stemcord kit, you're NOT supposed to keep in the car right? As the temperateu is too high for the kit.

Do keep us updated on the birth of your baby!

Anonymous said...

i've been reading your blog occasionally, and my, time flies and both of you are about due!

all the best for the birth! your wonderful family is about to be complete. and have a blessed christmas in the meantime. =)

c.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I gave birth last mth and was told I had Strep B as well (a mth before i gave birth). All went well .. a drip was attached to me, that's all. As it will be recorded in ur appt card, the duty nurse will know what to do .. u can be naggy and remind her them tho as its crucial to have the drip.
I hope u get ur wish of having a 2008 baby : )

Merry Christmas all!

Lionel n Rachel said...

halo..

merry xmas! & a happy new year!

keke...cant wait to see baby & oh remember to post the birth story of bb as well...

another thing, u guys still gonna remain anonymous after the birth of bb?? can u reveal ur true selves? hehe...

today is xmas! mrs given birth? if nt...count down till 1 Jan 08...u will then hv ur wish come true..a 2008 baby! keke..

Anonymous said...

hi, merry christmas! i await the news and pictures of your little one with much anticipation! =)

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Astee,

Thanks for your well wishes and Merry Christmas to you too!

I know about the option to join the 2007 batch that is why I would like for Baby to be born on 1st Jan 2008. We will be seeing Dr N tomorrow so will check with him.

Will keep you all posted.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Actually the Mrs will be experiencing all that you have mentioned. The only difference is we are not waiting for the water bag to burst on its own.

We will be injecting the antibiotics into the Mrs 4 hours before Dr N rupture the membrane.

We will be going for natural birth.

Yes, we were told to keep the stemcord kit properly and away from direct heat and sunlight.

You too must keep us informed of your birth okay?

I wonder who will pop first! ;p

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi C

Merry Christmas to you too!

Thank you for following our journey and sharing your thoughts and well wishes.

Cheers

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Anonymous,

First and foremost CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!

So you must be busy tending to your baby now.

Thanks for your advice. I will surely remind the midwife and nurses that the Mrs has Strep B!

Do read on yeah? The next chapter will be on our experience as a first time parents. I'm sure there are a few things we can share and exchange.

You have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year ahead!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Yvonne,

Nope we are not parents just yet! It looks like either end of this week or if we can have it our way, 1st Jan 2008.

About remaining anonymous, we really haven't give it any thought and in any case I do not think any of the readers know us even if we reveal our identities.

I was hoping that one day someone will come up to me and "expose" that I am A Husband because anyone who knows me will know this is my blog since I have left so many clues. Dino being the biggest one!

Since no one has come forward then I take it that none of my friends have read my blog. Hee Hee

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Wonderful New Year!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Roanne,

Merry Christmas!!

I'm sure there will be many pictures since I went out and got myself a brand new camera for the occasion! Ha Ha

Besides pictures there will surely be videos too!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Wow, it's getting exciting here... who knows we may read abt ur baby fm the papers - "1st baby borned in year 2008 at Mt E Hospital." =)

Think there're perks for 1st baby born in each year...

Keep us posted. God Bless!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi nana,

By the time I am writing this reply, Baby is already out. In any case induction babies do not count so will not be in the papers!

Thanks for your blessings!