Thursday, 27 December 2007

Hotdog!!!

Yesterday, Boxing Day was a really busy and stressful day for me!

We started off the day going for our scheduled appointment at Dr N’s clinic. The Mrs was supposed to go in for her routine CTG as well as discuss with Dr N on our proposed induced delivery. We have more or less decided on 1st Jan 2008.

The CTG was same-o same-o but after that we had to wait like 2.5 hours before we get to see Dr N!! The Mrs was losing her patience.

Anyway the CTG showed that the Mrs was having contractions (surges) every 20 minutes or so and Dr N proceeded to perform the Vaginal Examination for her. It was rather uncomfortable for the Mrs and guess what?!?! Dr N was surprised to learn that she was already 4cm dilated and best part was the Mrs had yet to feel anything!

Since we were going to induce the labour anyway, Dr N instructed us to go to the Delivery Suite to start the antibiotic so that he can rupture the membrane after about 4 hours!!

This was it ladies and gentlemen!!

We went for lunch as it was already 1 plus and she will be on the drip for the antibiotic so will not be mobile.

We officially checked in by about 2pm and she was on the drip by 2.30pm.

The next few hours went by uneventfully and the Mrs was “complaining” that she was not feeling anything. She was worried that we have checked in too early when she could possibly wait for another day or two. The nurse assured her that contractions were going on and that she should be thankful that she is not feeling much.



Since she was still feeling good and mobile we decided that that was the best time for me to leave her and go home to bring our stuffs.

I am disappointed to say that we were not very organized in this department because I had to repack since I will be staying over and none of my stuffs were in yet. Thankfully I travel on and off so last minute packing is not really a challenge. Although I have to admit that I forgot to bring out Stemcord kit with me. The hospital needed to use the items from the kit so they loan us a spare unit that they have in stock on the condition that I will bring mine to return them.

The rest of the day was a matter of just waiting and riding the mild surges. We were getting impatient as well as we (actually more like me) were hoping to have Baby out before midnight so he / she will be a Boxing Day Baby!

Finally at 8.30pm Dr N came to do another VE (5cm dilated) and then proceeded to rupture the membrane. I was watching and saw the instrument that he used looked like a giant toothpick. It took him 3 attempts before I finally saw the “show”. This has proved to be really uncomfortable for the Mrs and I believe that this was the straw that broke her will to go without epidural.

She was worried that if 2 fingers were already this painful, imagine Baby’s head coming out from the same area!!?!

The Mrs wanted me to inform all of you that it felt very strange to have the water bag broken while sitting on the bed because it made her feel as if she was peeing while in bed. Since the water was not exactly gushing out this sensation went on for quite a while.

Oh, from this exercise, we also found out that the Mrs is a little sensitive towards the Obstetric Care Lotion (white cream) that the hospital uses. In case you ladies were to feel any itchiness after your Gynae perform VE or similar procedure then you should let the nurses know that it is probably due to the cream. It seems there are a handful of women who are sensitive to it. So they switched to KY Jelly for the Mrs.

The instruction from Dr N was to put the Mrs on this drip (did not get the medical term) that will stimulate more intense and consistent surges and the nurse had to increase it every half hour. But before they administered that they had to check with the Mrs if she would like to have epidural as an induction like this may make the surges much more intense and jump the pain meter.

After consulting for a few minutes, the Mrs decided that it is best for her to use it. She had my backing and support of course.

The epidural was only administered at about 10.20pm as we had to wait for the Doctor to come from his home (I’m guessing). By that time I was resigned to having Baby delivered only after midnight. I mean what are the odds of her achieving full dilation with that short period of time right? The general rule of the thumb is 1cm per hour after one has achieved consistent surges. I was prepared to be there for a long night.

While waiting for her full dilation, we came up with a method to help her ride the waves of surges better. It was quite simple really. All I had to do was monitor the machine that showed the level of surges and will warn her whenever it was going up and she will use her HypnoBirthing breathing method. It worked rather well.


However someone failed to mention to me that once the epidural was administered, the rule book can be thrown out of the window! It seems the epidural actually relaxes the muscles so much that dilation can come a lot faster for some women and the Mrs falls in this category. By about 10.50pm, she was fully dilated.



How we knew was the Mrs’s constant complaint that she felt as if she needed to go for a number 2. This prompted the nurse to do another VE and that was when we found out she was ready.

Both Dr N and Dr K (our paediatrician) came in at about 11.40pm and I was sure that we will miss the date. I honestly do not know why I am so obsessed with Boxing Day Baby.

From here on I have to say that the Mrs did an excellent job and I am so proud of her. Baby was out at 11.54pm (barely made it before midnight) after about 6 – 8 pushes. I am also proud to say that I watched the entire crowning to the final delivery. I even witnessed the episiotomy, removing of the placenta and the stitching.

I bet from the title of this post you would have already guessed that Baby is a boy. So the minority of you guessed it right!!

I will be posting pictures of Baby and also announce his name in due time. As for now I only want to enjoy the company of my SON!!!

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey.. CONGRATS... wow has it been 9 months already? Seems like just yesterday that i started to read your blog...

it sure was a fun thing reading the journey.

Do continue to write on the growing up process of ur SON...

Gong Xi Gong Xi...

A Husband's Voice said...

Hey there,

Thanks! Yeah time really flies but if you asked the Mrs she will surely tell you that it wasn't that fast especially the last trimester. Ha Ha

Thank you for following this blog and I will surely continue to blog about my experience as a first time father.

Like I said there are still lots for us to learn from you all out there!

You have a wonderful New Year!

Anonymous said...

*wah* congratulations! so glad your baby is here, and your mrs did well during the birthing process. =) so you got your boxing day baby afterall?

and nope, i didn't exactly link your 'hotdog' title to the birth of your little boy. i thought you were munching on some hotdog when you thought of something that you would like to share with us. *hahahaha* i am a bit slow i agree.

congrats again! looking forward to baby's pictures!

Anonymous said...

Am very happy the birth went well and all of you are safe. The well-being of everyone is most important, so never mind about the date! Congratulations and do post some images of your lovely arrival!

C

A Husband's Voice said...

Hey Roanne,

First choice would have been 1st Jan but since that was out of the question, then between 26th and 27th Dec, I prefer to have a Boxing Day Baby.

I just realised from your comment that I did not put down the birth time of Baby. I have added it in since. Baby was born on 26th Dec at 11.54pm so yes I got my wish for a Boxing Day Baby! ;)

Sorry about the title I thought there are many prengancy counters that describe boys as hotdogs and girls as cheeseburgers!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi C

Welcome back again.

Thanks and I would like to share with you that God has been kind and I did get my Boxing Day Baby! Best Christmas present I have ever received!

I know most important is the health of the Mrs and Baby but I guess I was just being greedy. Hey, its Christmas after all right?

Maybe Santa knows that I have been a rather good Husband so granted my wish! lol

Will post the pictures soon I assure you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Congratulations!!! & welcome to parenthood. =)

It's good to be a year-end baby. I'm 1 myself & i used to rec'd good treatment fm my classmates (during my sch days) cos' i m always the youngest in class. hehe...

Looking fwd to more posts on ur baby & abt parenthood... meanwhile, take care & get ur Mrs to rest whenever possible. =)

Anonymous said...

Hello... COngrats!! happy for u, got your boxing day baby.. haha.. anyway what in the world is that?? placenta?? looks gross man!

Thanks for the write up, kinda gives me an idea what we will be into in time to come...lol

Mrs Chew

missmoon said...

congratulations!!!!!!! a boy huh :)

ok, shan't say much other than enjoy your special moments with your newborn :)

looking forward to some baby pics soon!

missmoon said...

oh, wait, so what is his name going to be? heh.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I have been reading your blog since a couple of mths back, at work and at home. Congrats on having a baby boy!! My hubby and I are hoping to concieve by 2008 *crossing fingers* . It was such a wonderful experience following your journey to fatherhood... i do not think my hubby would ever have a blog like that.... maybe i would :P
Congrats once again!! Do post pics of your baby and family. God Bless

Anonymous said...

hey hey!! congrats to you and Mrs!!! and you got your wish! a boxing day baby!! enjoy your parenthood and remember to snap lots of picture of 'hotdog' coz baby grows fast and you wouldn't want to miss a moment of that! keep us readers updated on the growth of 'hotdog'.

Aces Family said...

Hi there,

Congrats on the arrival of your baby BOy. I am happy that it was a smooth delivery for Mrs and a relatively good experience for yourself. So chances of planning No.2 is higher..haha.

Take care and enjoy sleepless nights for intial parenthood.

Happy New Year.

cheers,
astee

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi nana,

Its funny you mentioned that being a year end baby is smaller because just last evening when my BIL came to visit with his son we could really see and appreciate how fast babies grow.

Imagine he, Chad was born in January this year compared to this "hotdog" of ours. The difference in size is huge!

I hope Baby will grow fast and strong in case he gets bullied in school. Ha Ha

Thanks for everything. I'll try and get both of us to rest whenever possible. ;p

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jolin,

Yeah, God and Santa were kind. I got my Boxing Day Baby!

And that thing which looks like a whole plate of liver is indeed the placenta! Imagine not too long ago people cook that for consumption.

I'm glad this blog has achieved what it was meant to do, to document our journey as well as to exchange ideas and experiences. I'm sure you will be sharing with us your experience when your time comes. Just remember to invite me to your blog.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi missmoon,

Thanks. Will try and enjoy the quite moment now while it lasts. Soon all hell will break loose! Ha Ha

Will surely post pictures soon so stay tuned!

As for the name, do allow me to cause a little suspense otherwise with the gender and name revealed, all you readers will come back anymore! Ha Ha

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jas,

Thanks for being a reader! I do need so many more of you to keep me going. Hee Hee

Good Luck with conceiving. Do keep us posted once you have good new but in case you are superstitious then you should wait till after the 1st trimester.

Funny thing for us, did not announce to friends and relatives but I went out and tell the whole world through this blog!

You will be surprise what pregnancy may do to your husband. I mean take me for example, blog has not been new to me but if it is not for our pregnancy, I would never have thought of starting one myself.

So there is hope after all. In any case I'm sure you can always do one for the family.

Keep reading yeah?!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi missy,

First of all thank you very much for giving Baby the pet name "Hotdog"! That was never my intention when I thought of the title of my post!

In a funny way I find it endearing! So all you readers can continue to call him "Hotdog"! Ha Ha

The birth of "Hotdog" does not mark the end of this blog, merely the end of a chapter. There will be many more to blog about, I'm sure.

Pictures - aka datang!!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Astee,

Believe it or not when Dr N was stitching the Mrs up, I was already asking him when is a good time to start working on a second one! Not very sensitive, I know!

The Mrs was also complaining that how can I ask all that in the presence of Baby when he was only born minutes ago! Ha Ha

If it is up to me and money is not an issue then I'll like to have 3 so must work on it fast right?

You take care too and have a Wonderful New Year.

Nicole said...

Congratulations! I sure wasn't expecting the birth of your son when I just casually clicked on your blog just mins ago! The moment I read the title as 'hotdog', I knew then your mrs had given birth and it's a boy. :)

As for me, I've went for my check up today and my gynae told me that I'll most probably deliver anytime from now till next week so I'm on red alert as well.

I'm sure you're thrilled to hold you baby in your arms even as I'm typing away. Congrats once again!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Yeah, I really enjoy holding "Hotdog" in my hands and I feel weird today when he had to be in the nursery most of today treating his Jaundice.

The Mrs and I are done now so your turn to 加油!!

We did not get 1st Jan so maybe you can make it.

I know you will be tired but try and make an announcement on your blog once you have given so that we know both you and baby are safe and sound.

Good luck and have a good birth!

Anonymous said...

Hi, couldnt stop my tears from rolling after reading this. Really find it hard to believe that the moment had finally come and gone. So I was wrong, I was one of those who guessed baby is girl :P

Take care of The Mrs and happy New Year to you both!

Lionel n Rachel said...

belated congrtaualations!

when i click into your blog just now, the 1st thing dat caught my attention was your ticker factory which says " Hotdog is 3 days old"

i realise... bb has arrived! Congrats again! Its a boy...hehe.
post some bb pics soon..in the meantime...enjoy parenthood..lots to cover..

so...wat's the name?

Chew Family said...

Hi there....Congrats on your newborn! I've also just delivered my little boy on 11th Dec and glad to see that your little boy had arrived too. Wow, 26th Dec, a good day after xmas.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi bebe,

I am really happy that you are so connected with our experiences and "hotdog".

You are also really in touch with your inner feelings!

Don't worry about guessing Baby's gender wrongly. Majority did anyway.

I will take care of the Mrs and Hotdog for sure. I already have experiences to share with you readers. Will take mental notes and post it accordingly.

You have a Wonderful New Year too!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Yvonne,

Yeah, we have a baby boy and his pet name is Hotdog, thanks to another reader, missy.

I will be posting his pictures soon. See if I can have any quiet time to upload the pictures.

As for the name, you will know very soon! Hee Hee

I know I have a lot more to come so I am depending on experience parents such as yourself for advice.

You have a Wonderful New Year ahead!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi there SL & DC,

Welcome and thanks for leaving a comment.

So you are also a busy mother now. This is your 1st child right? You blogging your experience? Maybe I can steal something from there.

Yah, I was keeping my fingers crossed all the time for Baby to be out before midnight. Thankfully my wish was granted. Maybe there is a Santa Claus after all.

Anonymous said...

Hullo, am a bit late in reading this, but congrats! :)

I'm allergic to the cream too; it itched like hell!

Looking forward to the pics, and all the parenthood stories to come!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi evelyn,

Better late then never right?

I already have some baby handling stories to share. Guess that will come eventually after I post Baby's pictures within the next few days.

Keep reading ya?!

Lionel n Rachel said...

hi...linked ur blog to mine. i name as hotdog temporarily..hope u dun mind. once i hv ur boy' name, i'll do the amendment. tks. :)

Chew Family said...

hi....Yeah, he's my no. 1. My blog address if you have time to read.
http://shryn.blogspot.com/
I've shared my labour process in my blog. Do remember to update your son pictures. Enjoy your fatherhood :D

Fluff said...

congratulations!!!!! :)

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Yvonne,

Of course you can link my blog from yours.

You can use whatever name you want. No worries.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi sl & dc,

So are you SL or DC? Ha Ha

I will surely find the time to read your blog. In fact I follow most of my readers' blogs (those that are known to me of course).

You have fun with your first kid and I will look forward to the pictures too!

A Husband's Voice said...

Thanks Eunice!

Nicole said...

Yo! I've given birth, not on the 1st but on the last day of the year. That's my baby's choosing. Haha!!!

Had also updated some pictures, where's yours huh???

Keep us updated ya. :)

Nicole said...

Hello,

I've changed my blog name to 'happiefamilee'. Do change your record accordingly so that we can continue to read up on each other's blog and also to learn more about our child ya. :)

Take care!

Chew Family said...

hihi...

I'm SL. DC is my hub. I've already uploaded my pictures in the blog. I'm waiting to see your little darling, remember to load yours ya!
Be waiting......

Chew Family said...

btw, a husband's voice, I've added your blog to my link too...Cheers! :D

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi nicole,

Congratulations! I'm glad to learn that you have given birth and both of you are home safe and sound!

I have been busy but promise will post Hotdog's pictures within these 2 days!

Meantime you take care and share with us your confinement stories!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi SL,

I will surely visit your blog to check out your birth story and see pictures.

I know I have been lacking in posting Hotdog's pictures but I promise I will do so within these 2 days.