Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Christmas!!

The way I look at Christmas this year is rather different. In the past I have always enjoyed only the period leading up to Christmas. I always felt that somehow the actual day is a bit of an anticlimax perhaps due to the over hyped during the preparation and presents buying. In the end Christmas Day is just like any other normal day that we do not have to work.

Needless to say I am not a Christian or Catholic hence I feel the way I feel. Unlike all you religious people you will have churches to go to and families and friends to visit to celebrate Christmas.

This year however is different and it is all because of Isaac. Although he is probably too young to understand but whenever we are out shopping for presents and he is attracted by the decorations I will always tell him that all these decorations are preparations to celebrate his birthday. I believed very soon he will understand that when he sees such hype and decorations it means his birthday is near.

Many of you readers have commented how fast a year has passed and Isaac is turning one already. Personally it felt as if it was only yesterday that I was sharing with all of you my inexperience as a Father-to-be.

I can still remember the joy I had when I learned that we were expecting a baby and this being our first time I really wanted to document every step of the way. Besides I hoped that I can learn from all you readers hence the birth of this blog.

During this past year the Mrs and I had witnessed the birth and growth of Isaac. He was this ugly (yes I can say it now) little monkey look-alike baby that was rather yellow. He was so tiny that we could carry him in one hand to the shock of many people whom clearly did not attend Mrs Wong’s class.

If I breakdown his past year into quarters and describe how I remember them in relation to his progress, it will go something like this:

0 to 3 months

This is probably the easy time to handle him since all he did was eat, shit and sleep. Even though we had to wake up a few times each night to feed him, I had a lot of ‘me’ time. During the weekends, while he was sleeping in his cot I could be playing in front of my Xbox while the Mrs rested or do whatever she pleased.

So despite the nightly feeds which I helped, it was considered to be a piece of cake but not quite as fun to play with him.

3 to 6 months

To me this was perhaps one of the best stages for a baby to be in. Isaac still ate, shitted and slept a lot but he also added this element of fun because he was a lot more responsive. He was able to sit up with the aid of bumbo seat of course. He was smiling a lot and was still very easy to handle. Whenever we were busy we could simply placed him on the bumbo seat and carry on with our chores and he will just sit there and watch you go about your business, although not for long.

One of the highlight for us was of course his size. Back then he was rather chubby and really looked like he could really give the boy in the Nippon Paint commercial a run for his money.

6 to 9 months

To me this was the stage that was noisiest and wettest so far. Not only did he make a lot of ga ga noise he was also drooling and spitting a lot. He was much stronger hence the bumbo seat had to retire because he will tip himself over. Luckily we usually placed him and the bumbo seat on the sofa so he did not hurt himself.

At this age he also laughed the loudest and the most. He was usually very ticklish and when he was in the mood one can make him laugh effortlessly as video evidence posted in this blog had shown.

Although he was crawling he was unstable so we had to follow him every step of the way just to try and prevent him from plunging head first into the concrete floor. This was perhaps the hardest part due to all the back ache.

9 to 12 months

He is a lot more demanding at this stage. He has learnt how to express his displease (read complain) and be sure that everyone at home will know. When placed in the playpen he will throw all out the toys and stuffs in there if he is unhappy or happy and simply wants to get your attention to play with him.

Due to his strength and weight he is a lot harder to handle now. We were out shopping for Christmas presents with him last weekend and after carrying him for about 3 hours straight I had to admit my back felt like it was going to give way.

He has learnt how to get off the bed and crawl to wherever he likes so he needs to be watched all the time. He knows no fear and it does not matter how high the beds or sofa are he will apply the same method that he learned from the low mattress and try to climb down.

Although he has laughed less these days but he has certainly smiled much more. He is definitely much more fun to play with bearing the back ache on my part of course.




Here's wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!!

41 comments:

Michelle Ng said...

Look how cheeky he is. So cute. haha...

mirzapaige said...

oh the crawling stage! i'm experiencing it with my little misha now. Its exciting for her but tiring for mommy. Putting her in the playpen doesn't seem to work for long either. She'll try her best to pull herself up then lean against the net and bang her head against it. Good thing the playpen is stable and the net soft! heheh.

Merry Christmas to you and all your loved ones! :)

shysta said...

eh...above post was by me. Didn't realise hubby's account was logged in!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dylan,

Nice record on the significant bits. Do watch out for him in playpen; cuz in time to come, you may just catch him attempting to get out of it! I juz caught my 16-mo doing that a few nites back; he actually got one of his legs almost over the top edge of the playpen! If I had not caught him in time, he might just climb out and land a big thug! So it seems 'the safest method' is no longer the safest. We now try to put him on his high-chair, which by far has registered no 'foul-plays', hahahah :D. But still, they'd have their innnovative ways somehow some day; so read: 'EYE-WATCHING' is a must, LOL!!!

Enjoy charting his milestones!
JS.

Angie said...

we paretns will enjoy every stage of the baby's growth! my girl is 2.5yrs old. i think this is the most fun and cutest time so far. and most tiring too. because we are handling a terrible 2!!!

Anonymous said...

ohh.. no.. issac is super cute loh.. :)

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Michelle,

Merry Christmas!!

He is cheeky isn't he?! Somehow he already showed this side of him when he was about 6 months old.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Shysta,

Merry Christmas!!

It is indeed very tiring on the back for us adults.

The playpen worked well initially but these days he will protest if he doesn't want to be in it. He will be screaming and throwing things out.

Why Not said...

Hey, the first year of life is the most exciting stage.. so many milestones, so much changes... and it only gets better from there! :-) Merry X'mas to you and your family!

KoLe said...

Love the last photo!
put a big smile on my face.

wow... you have awesome memory!


merry christmas!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi JS,

The playpen is a good way to gauge how tall he is growing. He used to have to tip-toe to look out of it but these day he doesn't have to anymore.

One leg almost over the top?!?! Wow! I can't imagine!! Thanks for the tip. We will pay close attention to that. We have high chairs too so if need to then it will come in handy. Hee Hee

Merry Christmas!!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Angie,

I keep hearing about this Terrible Two. Is it really that terrible?! Please bear in mind that Terrible Twos will have double meaning for us in about 2 years time!! Hahahaha

Merry Christmas!!

A Husband's Voice said...

Thanks Mr Teng!!

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jayne,

Merry Christmas!!

Well since I can't really compare yet I will have to take your word for it. Thanks for reassuring that it will only get better from here!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi KoLe,

Merry Christmas!!

I thought some of you will like the last photo like me hence I posted it here.

Remembering the milestones was not difficult but trying to determine which quarters it happened in was a little challenging. Blogging about it helped.

Lynne said...

Issac is sooooooo..... cute in the pictures. Cheeky boy lol~

Merry x'mas Dylan and family.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Lynne,

Thanks!! He is indeed a cheeky boy and he has shown this side of him as early as 6 months!!

Merry Christmas!!

The Bimbo said...

The most adorable "Reindeer" I've ever seen.

Sadly I couldn't sneak by to take a photo with Isaac *SOB*.

mummy yio said...

Happy Birthday Issac!!!!

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday to Isaac!

And no, it's not just being terrible at terrible two. It's more like they've learnt to use the word' no' and used it very extensively. In fact, they'll only grow more terrible. Hahahahahaha!

nic said...

Happy birthday Issac :)

WaveSurfer said...

My first visit to your blog! Nice to see another father blogging about his child!
Looks like you are a Xbox 360 gamer like me too? ^^

Jas said...

Hi Dylan,
Merry belated christmas!! Hope Issac had a good party, Oh my gosh he looks so cute and cheeky in the photos.... oh goodness!! I feel like pinching his cheeks!!

nomadic notions said...

Merry Belated Christmas and Birthday! =) Time passes so quickly sometimes.

From your description, I notice that it gets harder throughout the years. Was that how my parents felt when I was borned? =)

Jes

Anonymous said...

hey how did the party go? we couldnt make it lar . . . Belated Happie Bdae to Issac!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dylan

Isaac is SOOOOOOOO Cute!

Here's wishing you, Mrs, Isaac and the twins a Happy New Year.

p/s: sorry i couldnt make it to vivo that day. Am sure his b'day was a blast!

-sk

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Bobo,

He looks very cute as a "reindeer" doesn't he?

We're sorry you couldn't make it. Perhaps his next birthday party then but it will most likely be on Christmas again.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Amy,

Thanks!!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your explanation and also for confirming that they will only grow more terrible. I can't wait for the terror twins win bring!! Hahaha

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your birthday well wishes for Isaac.

BTW maybe you can consider inviting me to your blog. What do you think?!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi WaveSurfer

It's nice to have another dude reading this blog. Do drop by again. I will be visiting your blog too.

I wouldn't say I am a Xbox gamer but I do play some games on it. However it has been probably more than 4 months since I even booted it up now. Sigh....

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jas,

Merry Christmas and an amazing New Year to you too!!

Isaac's party was fun. We had all the immediate family members as well as close friends to celebrate together for him. Will be doing a post on it soon with some pictures so stay tuned.

As for his cheeks, you'll get to them whenever we do meet.

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Jes,

Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!

For me time always pass by very quickly especially when we look back at the end of each year!

Actually from my personal experience it gets a little harder and easier at the same time as Isaac gets older. I guess it really depends on what we are referring to.

One thing is for sure and that is it gets more fun as he grows! I'm pretty sure your parents probably felt the same!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Bebe,

Thanks for the birthday wishes for Isaac. The party was fun and I will be doing a post on it with pictures soon so stay tuned ya?!

So what happened?!?! It's okay, you can try and make it next year so treat this as a very advance invitation. Hahahaha

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi SK,

A very Merry Christmas and Wonderful New Year to you and your family too!!

Isaac's party was fun as it was with immediate families and close friends. I'm sure it would have been more fun if more of you readers could make it. Looks like the Mrs and I have to plan his next party and notify you all in advance.

Anonymous said...

yes yes, faster post!! we can't wait to see! i was at home on Christmas afternoon nursing my muscles ache cos was painting and doing up my baby's playroom just 2days before . . . and *ouch*, i realise should starting exercising!

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Bebe,

I will try and post soon but very busy these few days.

At home nursing muscle ache huh?! Then you should have came on down to the party cause I heard an ice-cream will do wonders for your body! Hahahaha

mcdhel said...

nice piece you've got there...

A Husband's Voice said...

Thanks Wendell!!

nana said...

Time really flies! Isaac is 1! He's getting cuter & cuter by the day! I love looking at his pictures!

ur post juz reminded me that i gonna start all these all over again... diaper changing, feeding, sleepless nites, drooling, etc... hehe...

A Husband's Voice said...

Hi Nana

Ya time flies. Thank you for loving Isaac. I will try and post more of his pictures but suggest you view them at Facebook.

About doing all the diaper changing, sleepless nights and feeding, it applies to you and us!!

We are expecting the twins by end of this month. A little scary!